My first bit of advice, if you are going to try and start a global #sexworker humanitarian relief movement...maybe don't start on April Fools Day
So my first day as a Victory Girl is in the books
The idea for VictoryGirls.org came together pretty fast. It was a whirlwind of bits and pieces that all sort of gelled a few days ago. I've always been fascinated by the Victory Girls of WW2 who used companionship and sexuality as a way to support a cause they believed in. That got coupled with conversations with health care professional friends, here in New Orleans (Thanks Dr. T!) ,about the morale and working conditions in the hospitals. Mix in one quarantined pornstar/courtesan/goddess and the idea of a global #sexworker relief movement, showing appreciation to all those overworked health care heroes was born. Also, the fact that the VictoryGirls.org domain was still available (how could that not be a sign?)
My first bit of advice, if you are going to try and start a global #sexworker humanitarian relief movement...maybe don't start on April Fools Day. Don't laugh at me. That's incredibly obvious in hindsight. But #VictoryGirls isn't a carefully manicured promotional campaign put together over months of careful planning. It is a passion project, cobbled together in less than two days with the help of two very lovely friends/sex workers/advocates (@sacredseamus + @celest_sinclair). Website, logo, graphics, photos, social media, collateral, copy...40 hours. We got VictoryGirls.org up and running with the idea of connecting people as fast as possible in the world of an exponentially spreading killer super virus. No one even thought of April Fools Day. So launch on April Fools Day we did!
Timid optimism, I think is the best way to describe our opening day. Lots of wonderful sentiment about the promise of the idea, mixed with a healthy dose of skepticism. So here's our opening day of VictoryGirls.org went by the numbers.
VictoryGirls.org site signups
Health Care Professionals: 7
Sex Workers: 2
Social Media/DM/Text Conversations
Health Care Professionals: 114
Sex Workers: 11
General VictoryGirl-in' Activity
Nudes Sent: 89
Sexts with Health Care Professionals: 2
Obviously Scammy Creepers Trying to Fake as Doctors: 3 (surprisingly low!)
Overall I was really happy with the first day. We had been in a sprint to get live and I was balancing talking to people, queuing social media, answering email with naps and self care. I personally had many wonderful conversations with both #sexworkers and #healthcareheroes. My nudes to Sext ratio is pretty accurate for my expectations. I get naked at the drop of a hat, it's not a huge skill to see. But nice and respectful, and often also being funny is how you bridge the gap past that. Huge #sexworker protip here people, in and out of a pandemic. Be nice to your #sexworker and don't be entitled. It's a massive ROI.
Sharing on social media has been slow, but I'm attributing that both to being new and the April Fools Day skepticism. And we learned a lot!
DAY 1 HIGHLIGHTS:
"Your website is very cool! I think it could do a lot of good. It's inspiring that you have the courage to support in any way you can."
"I just texted all my EMT friends."
"I love your hair"
Obviously the comment about me hair gets extra points.
MOST HEART WARMING COMMENT:
"Thank you for what you're doing. Honestly this is hard. I'm scared everyday to go into work. But so many people depend on me."
This is right on the money for what I hoped to see. In my experience, so much of #sexwork is actually therapy for people who for whatever reason can't or won't see a licensed therapist. And sometimes so much of what is needed to get through a day is just seeing that someone actually gives a fuck.
CREEPER OF THE DAY:
Creeper of Day #1 goes to a misguided gentleman who tried many different avenues of explaining to me how his mother was a Doctor so he should get to use her privileges. Even going as far as to send me moms credentials at her place of employment. Yup. There's our winner.
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR MAKING MY FIRST DAY OF BEING A VICTORY GIRL SO MUCH FUN!
I look forward to posting about the #SexWorkers who contacted us about being #VictoryGirls very soon.
ASKS - WANTS - IDEAS - WISHLIST:
- I would love to connect to more #sexworkers and get them involved. That can be as involved or low key as they want. I have some talking about making custom videos for appreciation, but truly just making a social media post or a branded photo thanking Healthcare Workers or tagging #VictoryGirls would be awesome. WiIl be fleshing out those relevant parts of the site. But if you know a #sexworker who is idle in quarantine and just sitting around worrying it would be awesome to give them something positive to focus on.
- Following/Sharing us on Instagram and Twitter would be amazing we are @VictoryGirlsOrg , in that same category if there are any wonderful social media wizards who want to help us promote the more the merrier.
- Anyone who just wants to volunteer to help us figure this thing out I would love to talk to.
- Connections to any Podcasts or Media would be lovely
- If any of you biohacking, burner, tech wizards with gene splicing equipment off ebay in your garage could make a cure for this disease so we can all stop freaking out and get back to work and our lives that would be amazing. Get on that, k thnx.
- No matter if they want to be involved with the #VictoryGirls project or not, if you have a #sexworker in your life you care about, tell them you care, NOW. The world is weird right now. Let people know they are loved.
I'm going to go edit porn for awhile. It's good to keep some normalcy. Stay safe eveyone.